London, Brighton & South Coast Railway Class A1. No.79 “MINORIES”,
Later “CHATHAM NO. 4”
This locomotive was a member of William Stroudley’s famous Terrier class of locomotives and entered traffic in July 1880 with the name “Minories” and was numbered No.79. It was initially sent to work at New Cross and then later in the 1880’s to Eastbourne shed. It was lent to the Newhaven Harbour Company in March 1888 when they had a shortage of locomotives. By the 1890’s it was working from Newhaven shed on trains to Seaford. In February 1905 it replaced “Boxhill” as the Brighton Works Pilot. In 1906 it received a new boiler from sister engine No.643 and was fitted with 12″ cylinders (replacing the the original 13″ ones) and motor train gear and was used on Chichester to Portsmouth motor train services.
It was renumbered No.679 and lost its name in March 1907. In January 1912 it was rebuilt to class A1x at a cost of £944, after having run 823,265 miles. After conversion it was sent to Fratton shed for Hayling Island services. By 1916 it was at West Croydon shed. In January 1918 it became surplus to requirements and was sold to the Admiralty for use at Invergordon for £1200, having a total mileage of 986,266. It was then transfered to W.D.Catterick Camp in May 1919, after a brief visit, it was transfered to Chatham Dockyard in 1920. Upon its arrival at Chatham, it was named “CHATHAM No.4”. It remained at Chatham until it was broken up in October 1933.
Latterly it had been supplying steam to a compressor near No.2 graving dock.